Frequently Asked Questions & Policies
How do I schedule an appointment?
It's super easy to schedule with Take 5 Bodywork. Simply click the button below to schedule your session instantly! Or you may phone or text me at (805) 637-3586. For less timely inquiries, feel free to drop me an email.
How do I change or cancel my appointment?
If you booked your session online, you should have received an email confirming your new appointment. In this email, there is a link you can click which will allow you to view or modify your appointment.
Or, if you have registered (a free service), you can log in and view all your upcoming and past appointments. It's super easy to cancel an upcoming appointment or add a new one. (However, if you are cancelling within 24 hours of your appointment, you will need to contact Suzanna directly.)
Of course, you're always welcome to call or text Suzanna at (805) 637-3586 to take care of the changes for you! Please note the 24-hour Cancellation Policy in the righthand column.
Can I purchase a gift certificate?
Absolutely! Gift certificates for massage show your friends and family that you care about their health, happiness, and well-being. Plus, they can be redeemed at any time as they have no expiration date. To purchase a gift certificate, call or email Suzanna or simply click this button:
Do you offer discounts for buying in bulk?
Yes! We offer package deals! We believe that bodywork is most beneficial when received on a regular basis, so we encourage our clients to purchase a series of five sessions of their choice while saving money! When your package is fully redeemed, purchase another! Unless otherwise noted, packages have no expiration date.
What methods of payment do you accept?
Payment for services rendered is due upon each session's completion.
Upon scheduling, you will receive an appointment confirmation, which will (among other details) contain a link to view your appointment, redeem an online gift certificate or package, or make a contactless credit card payment. Use Suzanna's phone number (805-637-3586) to pay with Apple Cash or Zelle. Exact cash, check payable to “Take 5 Bodywork,” and credit/debit cards are accepted at the office.
Gift Certificates and Packages: If you have a printed gift certificate (with text inside a large hand), please be sure to bring it with you to your appointment. To redeem an online-purchased gift certificate or package, log in to your account and click on "appointments" in the top right of the screen. Next to your upcoming appointment, click on "details" and then click on "Would you like to pay now?" In the "Redemption code" field, you may now enter the code issued at the bottom right of your certificate. If you do not see this code, or need assistance redeeming your package or gift certificate, ask Suzanna to take care of it for you. Shop our Package Deals and Gift Certificates here.
Or, upon request, Suzanna is happy to email you an invoice so that you may pay via credit card, debit card, or electronic fund transfer from your bank account (ACH).
Am I supposed to tip for a massage?
Most people tip and some people don't. Gratuity is always appreciated and is common practice in the bodywork industry. However, it is not required. We would much rather that you save the tip if it means allowing you more opportunity to return for a follow-up visit!
What should I wear to my massage?
Some massage modalities (e.g., Thai, Sports, and Barefoot Sports Massage) require loose-fitting clothing such as yoga or sweat pants or shorts. Where required, we have notated this under the particular service. Otherwise, you will likely be asked to disrobe to the level of your comfort during the massage. You will be properly draped (covered up) at all times. If for any reason you prefer not to undress, we are also capable of working through the sheet or clothing.
What should the pressure be during a massage? Is deeper better?
Everyone has their own personal preference when it comes to the pressure applied in a massage. Some people's mottoes are "No pain, no gain" and others really enjoy a lighter, more relaxing touch. I tell people that I can only speak for myself, but what I prefer when receiving massage is for the pressure to be deep enough that it feels therapeutic--like it's doing something beneficial for me--but not so deep that I can't breathe normally, am clenching other muscles, or otherwise am in pain or unable to relax during the treatment.
Please be sure to give honest feedback when prompted by the massage therapist if the pressure is right. At any point throughout the massage, if the pressure is too light or too deep for you, I encourage you to say so.
Late & Cancellation Policy
We understand that unanticipated events happen occasionally in everyone’s life. In our desire to be effective and fair to all of our clients and out of consideration for our therapists’ time, we have adopted the following policies:
• 24-hours advance notice is required when cancelling an appointment. This allows the opportunity for someone else to schedule an appointment.
• If you must cancel the day of your appointment, you will be charged a last-minute cancellation fee of 50% of the session's regular price. This amount must be paid prior to your next scheduled appointment.
• If you forget or consciously choose to forgo your appointment for whatever reason without first notifying us, you will be considered a “no-show.” You will be charged for your missed appointment in full. Future service may be denied until payment is made.
• Appointment times have been arranged specifically for you. To maximize your session time, please try to arrive a few minutes before your appointment time. Arriving late to your appointment may result in a shorter session in order to accommodate others whose appointments follow yours.
• Regardless of the actual duration of the treatment, you will be responsible for payment of the session in full. As a matter of courtesy, please call us if you will be more than five minutes late to your session. Unless notice is given, you will be considered a “no-show” if you fail to arrive within 15 minutes of your appointment’s start time.
• In the event that the session is started late on account of the therapist, the full duration of the session will be provided. If either party is unable to stay the entire duration, you may choose to reschedule or cancel your appointment without charge or pay pro-rata, or tack on extra time to your next session, as agreed upon prior to the session’s commencement.
If you're not feeling well...
• In compliance with ABMP's Hygiene and Sanitation Standards, we cannot work on clients presenting with cold/flu/viral symptoms. Likewise, please apprise us of any potentially contagious skin conditions, including Poison Oak and Staph infections, any recent surgeries, or of any condition that may be contraindicated for massage.
Please take an honest assessment of your health. You may think you are "getting over" a bug or "at the tail end" of it, but may still be contagious. In our efforts to serve our clientele to our best capacity and keep everyone as healthy as possible (including our own household and their patients, and other clients with weakened immune systems), we ask for your kind consideration and forthrightness in apprising us of any symptoms or possible contagion.
Please let us know as soon as possible if you are under the weather. We are happy to reschedule your appointment and waive the late cancellation fee. We're confident your massage will be more enoyable when you're healthy again.
Is it bad to fall asleep during a massage?
Not at all! Personally, I'll even take it as a compliment! Many people find their massage so relaxing that they slip into slumber. It has been shown that this type of sleep promotes deep-level restorative healing.
To boot, clinical observation and research evidence have led to massage being recommended for promoting sleep, as it can lengthen sleep duration and enhance the quality of restorative sleep, facilitating better physical and cognitive functioning.
Is massage just luxurious fluff?
Research has repeatedly proven that massage not only feels good but reduces inflammation, speeds muscle recovery after exercise, and promotes healing for injuries and chronic disorders at the CELLULAR LEVEL!
Clients may experience relief from chronic or acute aches, pains, and injuries; improved performance of lymphatic, digestive, and circulatory systems; and enhanced body awareness and physical coordination. Bodywork has also been shown to benefit the skin, nervous system, soft tissue, immune system, chakras and energetic bodies.
Headaches/migraines, Upper Crossed Syndrome, joint instability, limited flexibility, Multiple Sclerosis, and many other conditions can be improved with massage therapy.
To learn more about the numerous benefits of massage, visit the Blog!
Are you State-Certified? What does that mean?
Yes, all our other practitioners have been certified as a Massage Therapist (CMT) by the California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC). Suzanna has been so since 2010 and her CAMTC certification number is 17197.
In order to be certified as a massage professional by CAMTC, an applicant must pass a background check that includes review by the California Department of Justice and FBI, and meet the educational standards established by California State Law.
In addition to being State-Certified, Suzanna is also a licensed business owner in the City of Santa Barbara, CA. After her name, you may thus see "CLMT"--or "Certified Licensed Massage Therapist."
Do you speak Spanish? ¿Se habla español?
¡Sí! Suzanna habla español además del inglés.
I have a hard time relaxing. How can I make the most of my massage?
Here are some tips to help you fully enjoy and maximize the benefits from your massage:
• Remove as little or as much clothing as you feel comfortable with. Remove any accessories such as watches, bracelets and necklaces.
• Provide the therapist with feedback about pressure, or if anything is uncomfortable, or if you would like something done differently.
• Be present in the moment. Your purpose right now is to give your body a chance to relax, heal, and reboot. It may help to close your eyes and feel what is going on both inside and outside your body. Tuning into your body will help quiet the mind and allow any tensions or worries to drift away.
• Occasionally, or as needed, take slow, deep breaths. Take note of any areas of tension in your body. As you exhale, release that tension, letting your body sink deeper and deeper into the table.
• Focusing on the music playing in the background can be very rewarding as well. At home, you can stream music by Auric Zephyr (Suzanna's own original relaxing compositions) on YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Amazon Store, or virtually anywhere you get your music. In addition to soothing music, Suzanna also has a playlist of relaxing visualization meditations she can play for you upon request.
• The only other thing you need to do is allow yourself to feel enveloped by the comfortable table and to let us take care of you. This is your time to receive and be nurtured. Allow us to move your limbs if we need to (let us know if anything doesn't feel right or is uncomfortable or scary). Don't try to be "helpful" by engaging your muscles. Simply receive and allow the nurturing.